Bike polo is a beautifully simple game, with 5 basic rules:
1. Don’t put your foot down – if you do, ‘tap out’ at the side of the court, then re-join.
2. Score with the end of your mallet - scoring with the side is a ‘shuffle’ and will be disallowed.
3. Like-to-like contact only - mallet to mallet, bike to bike, body to body.
4. First to 5 goals wins - although we sometimes do timed games so players can rotate.
5. Don’t be a dick - we’re competetive and polo is potentially dangerous. Don’t make things worse by being inconsiderate or overly-aggressive.
Mallets - Mallets were originally made from various materials (bamboo, golf clubs etc) but the most common combination is the ski-pole shaft and water-pipe head.
Balls – We use high density, hot weather street hockey balls. These are used internationally and in tournaments. However if you’re just starting out, tennis balls or hockey balls will suffice until you can get one.
As the game grows players within thee community have been developing new and better components, making them available to everyone. Check out our shop. See also – 3Pmh, Perro del Mal(let), Milk, Harvey balls.